Like most other families, very evening as our girls are heading off to bed, we share goodnight hugs and kisses. And every night after I turn off my beside lamp, and settle down for prayer time, I whisper "Good morning little guy." And I pray for him to have a good day, and for someone to love on him for me---to fill the gap until I get the privilege of helping him begin his day with our ritual goodmornin' greeting.
The time will come soon when I'll have the honor of fixing his breakfast, helping him dress, brushing his teeth and combing his hair. These morning and evening rituals are often taken for granted, don't you think? That is, until you have a little one around that needs help with the activities of daily living, or until you have someone who because of age or illness, can no longer do these things for themselves.
I must admit I was glad to see Monday morning begin a new week. Last week was quite stressful. Two guys that grew up on the same street, just houses away from each other, who were members of our high school graduating class, passed away within just a few days of each other. Our church planned the memorial service for the second one, which was held on Saturday. After the service, a part of me wanted to linger...to be with friends that I'd grown up with who had come to say goodbye to Nicky. But, another part of me was ready to move on because the sadness and grief felt so heavy. It was difficult to think about their lives being cut short by illnesses like a stroke and brain cancer. Life throws us some curves, doesn't it?
Early last week, a situation at church brought heartbreak and sadness to several people that we love dearly. It is in times like this that we step up and continue to serve and love each other. We dare not look away but stay focused on Jesus. We must allow him to hold us as we grieve our personal losses. We must allow his love to fill the emptiness that we are left with after grief subsides.
The girls will be going back to school on Thursday. Anna, a second grader this year, and Lilly a third grader. I will miss them while their gone, but I know they have lots to learn this year, and school will help pass the time until we get travel approval to go to China.
So, as I get ready to head off to bed, I will continue to hold Aiden in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that God will allow both Brian and me to be around for his first good morning smile, his first words of English, his first day of school, all the way up to his graduation day and beyond.
Blessings to all,
Deb

That was beautiful Deb! Praying for you all and that sweet boy of yours until you can finally be together! Love the new look of your blog too....so cute! :)
ReplyDeleteWendy