I can hardly believe we've been home three weeks from China...but I'm SO GLAD TO BE HOME even though it feels like we are back in Northern China right now.
Nathan is doing so well. I could not have asked for a sweeter, more wonderful little boy! He seems to be fairly easy going. Of course, he has two sisters, who help him with various activities, but they also get onto him when he is being naughty (or into their things) so he gets his feelings hurt easily. He adores both of them and will call out to them..."Yanna!"....or "Lilleeee! if they are out of his sight for too long.
He loves to sing the alphabet song with the Leap Frog on the frig. He can sing it without it too...but sometimes starts with Q..R..S..instead of A..B..C. He can count to 5 easily and is working on counting to 10 in English. He loves to say "seven"...so funny! And I thought a good way for him to learn his English name would be to sing it to him at nap time. He has started joining me..this is the way he sings it. "Na shun...Na shun...Nashun, O la ber..OLT! Na shun..Na shun...Nashun O la ber...OLT!" He's a "gud boy!...Nashun O la ber....OLT!" He smiles and is so incredibly proud of himself. It truly thrills my heart to see him so happy. Speaking of singing, we were watching American Idol auditions last night when he decided to climb up on the footstool, stand on it and sing--complete with his arms outstretched and reaching up. I wish I'd had a camera handy.
He will request to watch cartoons at some point each morning...but will say, "Super Why"and point to the remote, which we have to keep put up so that he isn't changing the channels or volume every two seconds. He told the Lester's, who speak Mandarin, that he likes to watch cartoons. I put the PBS channel on the tv in the mornings and let him play with it on...he'll stop and watch if somebody is singing or if something catches his interest. I really think hearing the language is helping him learn English. He likes parts of Sesame Street, esp when Elmo is kissing babies. He's beginning to put short sentences together...it amazes me at how fast these little ones pick it up.
I believe that he's falling in love with all of us...he says, "I lob you!" and I get kisses on the cheek quite often now. He seems to adore his Granny...he will hold her face with his hands and kiss her on the cheek. I do believe she is quite smitten with her new grandson. He loves playing with Baba...who sometimes is called "Daddy" now. Bedtime and nap time are so easy compared to what we dealt with when we brought each of the girls home. Needless to say, they were not this easy! He came to us completely potty trained at 2 and 1/2...and has only had a couple of nighttime accidents (I love pullups).
To celebrate the Year of the Rabbit, we ate Chinese take out for lunch today. I asked Brian to bring home some egg drop soup for Nathan and while he was eating it, I noticed him using his "little hand" to hold his spoon. I was so impressed! He loves broccoli and zucchini, and green beans. It's so nice to have another child who enjoys green veggies :*) I have a couple who don't :~/
Even though he is left-handed, he uses that special hand to assist in lots of everyday tasks. And I have finally made it a habit to put his drink, spoon or fork on the left side of his placemat. I also back off now and allow him to attempt to button or zip or do for himself before stepping in to help.
Oh and before I forget. We were told that a child is not allowed to be left-handed in China. They write Chinese characters a certain way, and if they were to use their left hand, they would smear the ink. So, I guess it's a good thing Nathan will grow up in America, huh? I can't help but think of all the other little ones growing up in orphanages who have "special" right hands or no hands at all. They will undoubtedly face many challenges. Oh..and..Nathan met Grace's dad last week at church. Lee held out his hand to shake Nathan's and after hesitating for a few seconds, Nathan lifted that little hand and shook. I can't tell you how much I've worried about what he would do and how people would respond to him. He handled it just fine....and that that moment, as Lee said, "It's nice to meet you Nathan," they were both heroes in my eyes.
God has just been so incredibly good to us throughout the transition from China to America. Nathan is doing much better than I would ever have imagined. His "special need" is really not a SN at all!!!! It's not an issue...and my prayer for him is that he will be accepted into society without much attention drawn to it.
Nathan, the girls and Brian all enjoyed time playing in the snow and sledding next door today. While most of the central and midwest, and northeast are covered with snow or ice or a combination (as it is here), I am busy setting my hair on fire whilst trying to light the fireplace (yesterday) and today while doing laundry, I dropped a little sock in between the washer and dryer and when I went to pick it up I scooted the washer to the side a little and the lid slammed on three of my fingers...oh NOT FUN..nothing broken, just bruised. And I'm wearing my hair parted on the other side today. HA! So, I fear getting out where it is slippery, afraid that "third" thing that sometimes happens might come to pass, so I'm staying put. I'll post some snow pics in soon.
Blessings to you all...
Deb

Oh please forgive my typos and double words!
ReplyDeleteOh Deb! I'm so happy to hear how well Nathan is adjusting. He sounds like such a little sweetheart! Your joy is oozing! :) :)
ReplyDelete