As we were approaching the dairy section, I noticed an elderly lady in one of those store wheelchairs. You know the ones with the cart on the back, so you can shop and push someone at the same time? There were two younger women with her. They were in a conversation with each other over what seemed to be a decision about what type of butter to purchase. I made eye contact with the lady in the wheelchair and smiled. She reminded me of my mother. As I opened the door to the refrigerated wall section...I heard a *whisper* in my ear." I thought, "No God, no....I can't! I don't talk to strangers like my sister does!!!! Besides, I might cry!" I turned around and loaded the two jugs of milk into my already full shopping cart...then I felt the nudge again....
So, I quickly turned around...she was still there, looking so forlorn, and small, in that wheelchair. She looked to be in her mid 80's. I found myself reaching for her hand, and saying hello. She smiled the most precious smile. She said, "Oh honey, your little hands are so cold!" I said, "It was the milk...the milk was cold." I asked her how she was doing, and we chit chatted briefly. I glanced and met the eyes of one of the ladies with her. She smiled...but didn't say a word....so I continued my good bye, "I hope you have a nice day!" to the lady whom I'm thinking was probably her mother.
It was hard to let go of the sweet lady's delicate, thin-skinned, hand...I really didn't want to let go...I wanted to hang onto that moment for a while....memorize it...let the blessing of it settle. I could hear Nathan talking behind me in the seat of the shopping cart. (He says "Hello" and "Hi" to almost everybody he sees.) He was saying, "Okay Mama...let's go!" She held onto my hand and for a few seconds, I thought I might not get away. I knew I had to let go....and get back to the task at hand. I got about six feet away, well into the juice/bottled water isle and the tears spilled out and onto my cheeks.
Oh, Thank you God for giving me this precious blessing today.....A Good Friday blessing!
It was as if He allowed me to reach out and touch my own sweet mother today. I miss her so!!!!
Remembering Jesus' sacrifice for all of us today,
Deb

No comments:
Post a Comment